Pet Wellness Care: The Foundation of Good Health and Happiness
As a pet owner, it’s only natural that you want to ensure a long, happy, and vital life for your fuzzy family member. Sometimes, though, we can take our pet’s health for granted – especially when they are feeling fine and in the prime of life. However, just like with humans, preventive pet wellness care is vital to a quality life, and can lessen your pet’s chances of developing a serious disease.
Pet wellness care is about more than just a simple visit to the vet when your pet is feeling rough, and can play a key role in the bond you share with your pet. Goldorado Animal Hospital champions the benefits of wellness care vs. a “treat only the problem” approach to your pet’s health and daily wellbeing. Here’s why…
What is Pet Wellness Care?
Pet wellness care can have a wide range of definitions, but we define veterinary wellness care as the routine and complete care of a pet through prevention of disease; it is a holistic way of viewing a pet’s total physical and emotional health, and encompasses everyday aspects of the pet’s life to promote wellbeing and longevity.
The Annual Examination
At our clinic, we include a full complement of health services in your pet’s annual or biannual examination, which is tailored to your pet’s unique life stage, lifestyle, and current health. The earlier you start your pet off with these exams, the better equipped we are to detect any changes, as these exams and tests determine your pet’s normal baseline of health.
Our examination includes:
- Nose to tail examination
- Palpation of abdomen to determine internal organ health
- Skin and coat inspection
- Dental, eye, and ear health
- Muscle mass and mobility
- Weight and nutrition evaluation
- Behavioral consultation
- Vaccines and parasite prevention
- Routine diagnostic testing, including urinalysis and blood work
During the exam, we make it a point to take the time to listen to any concerns as to encourage a great relationship between you, your pet, and your veterinarian.
The Advantages of Wellness Care for Pets
Keeping your pet in excellent health is something most pet owners aspire to do! Through pet wellness care, you can help your pet in the following ways:
- Detect changes in health early on, which can help us prevent and / or treat serious aspects of a condition from progressing further
- Address changes to your pet’s daily care, including making sure your pet stays at the right weight and maintains optimal nutrition
- Keep tabs on your pet’s dental health
- Stay aware of any possible issues your pet may face as they age
- Create a great working relationship between you, your pet, and your veterinarian
- Have access to diagnostic testing, such as x-rays and lab tests, to better understand that which cannot be seen by the eye
- Discuss better at-home care
- Save money by preventing rather than treating disease
- Benefit through monthly parasite prevention and customized vaccines geared toward reducing your pet’s specific risk
Ultimately, your pet is an important part of your family and can benefit greatly by staying on top of preventive care. If you would like to schedule a wellness appointment for your pet, please contact the friendly team at Goldorado Animal Hospital.