Compassionate Surgical Care for Your Pet
At Goldorado Animal Hospital, one of our top priorities is to create a safe, comfortable environment for every pet that requires surgery. From the pre-surgical consult to post-surgery recovery, we are here for our patients and their families every step of the way.
Our surgical suite is used to perform a wide variety of procedures. Whether your pet needs a routine elective surgery (such as a dog spay or cat neuter) or a major surgery due to illness or injury, we are fully prepared to treat your pet.
Preparing for a Procedure
Pre-surgical consults provide vital information about your pet and are required for all scheduled surgeries. This visit will include:
- A complete physical exam to ensure your pet is healthy enough for surgery
- Pre-anesthesia blood work to customize anesthesia and pain management protocols
- Updates to any vaccinations and heartworm testing for dogs
- FeLV/FIV testing for cats (if necessary)
- The completion of any required paperwork in advance
We will also review the entire procedure, answer questions, and discuss any possible side effects or complications associated with the surgery.
Other important pre-surgical instructions:
- Do not allow your pet to eat after 10 p.m. the night before surgery
- Restrict access to food and water the morning of surgery
- Check-in between 7 a.m. – 8 a.m. the morning of surgery
- Inform our staff of any medications your pet has been given 24 hours prior to surgery
Pre-anesthesia blood work is vital to ensure your pet’s liver and kidneys are healthy enough to withstand anesthesia. It can also help us identify conditions that may cause complications if left untreated. The results of this blood work are used to create a customized anesthesia and pain management protocol for your pet.
Once an anesthetic is administered, a skilled veterinary technician stays with your pet until the surgery is completed and he or she is fully alert. During the procedure, we closely monitor your pet’s blood pressure, heart rate, blood oxygen levels, and respiration rate.
At Goldorado Animal Hospital, we do not want any pet to suffer unnecessarily. That’s why our trained staff works to create a pain management protocol that is tailored to your companion. You can rely on us to review any medications, treatments, or restrictions that may be included as part of your pet's pain management plan.